Botanical name: malus
Family: Rosaceae (rose)
- Deciduous There are many varieties (over 700 cultivars) that range from 15 – 45 ft. in height
- Crown can be very busy and produce many twigs
- Flowers in the early spring with white or pink blooms
- Often grown as an ornamental tree, the small fruits, usually red in color are often very sour Used for canning and the making of jams
- Common problems crabapples experience are: fire blight, rust, powdery mildew, apple scab, canker diseases, scale, eastern tent caterpillars, leaf defoliators, insect borers, and aphids.